reflections of a former law student:Young, privileged students interpret the principle of "academic freedom" to mean "I can say whatever I want and you can't criticize me." This atmosphere of polite disagreement, no matter how odious the position offered, was...

reflections of a former law student:

Young, privileged students interpret the principle of "academic freedom" to mean "I can say whatever I want and you can't criticize me." This atmosphere of polite disagreement, no matter how odious the position offered, was stifling to me as a law student. It was based on the notion that we law students were all in this together, and therefore should "play nice," even when there were other students whose stated political aim was to deny rights...

The legal system is built to try to address unfairness and injustice, to make sure everyone gets their due process and fair share. If we didn't care about the well-being of our fellow citizens, we wouldn't need justice at all...

It matters how people feel. It matters whether racist arguments are tolerated, and whether other voices rise to their aid.




0 Responses to whether we're talking Racism or Torture, Empathy HAS a place in producing Justice

Post a Comment